Google+ Followers

Search This Blog

Aug 9, 2011

Creating Your own Embossing Folders

I have watched video tutorials and read tutorials on how to make your own embossing folders and then I tried several of them and they did not work for me. So I just took all that I saw and sort of figured it out to the best I could get it to work and I will explain how I did it.


Supplies I used:
Plastic Cutting boards from Dollar Tree (2 in the pack for $1)
Card Stock (thick and hard)
Tape
Glue

This will make Embossing folders to work for the Sizzix Texture Boutique (what I have) or will also work in a Cuttlebug I believe because the ones I purchased were Cuttlebug and Sizzix and they both work in my Sizzix.

1. Cut 2 pieces of the plastic cutting board 4 1/2" x 6"
2. At one end fold a piece of tape with half on one side of plastic and half on other side to hold the two together. I used Scotch Clear Packaging tape.
3. Cut a piece of Card Stock 3 1/2" x 5". I found that thicker works better and if it is kind of a hard texture is also better.
4. Design or pick your pattern to cut on your Cricut or whatever cutter you have. It is better if the patern is not too complicated.
5. After cutting and taking off your mat, glue the stencil part to the inside of one side of your folder. then the inside pieces that you weeded out carefully. Take them and put back inside the stencil piece and apply glue to just the pieces and fold the top of the folder over and press with something heavy on top of the closed folder till the glue dries.
6. You now have the completed folder. Place a piece of cardstock that is smaller than the folder and design in between the 2. It is kind of like a sandwich and then place on the outside several pieces of cardstock to be shims and place all this between your embossing pads that probably came with your embosser. It should go through a little hard when turning the crank but not too hard. If it goes through too easy you don't have enough shims so maybe add another one. It is just trial and error at this point to get the best impression from your embossing folder.
7. It all depends on the thickness and hardness of your cardstock that you used to cut your pattern.

If you have any problem please contact me and I will try to help but it is pretty much playing with it all a little. Some of the others that have videos are either purchasing a kit for making and if you mess it up it is money wasted so thank goodness I didn't do that first and I like this way better but it is close to the way some of the videos showed how to do with my own little added touch. I was really pretty happy with the finished embossed product when I was done with this way. I just want to create some more designs and I will share with you so please check back to see if I have added any new designs.

Thanks for visiting my Blog.
God Bless
You can download the diamond file here

3 comments:

  1. Since I have all of the pieces I might as well give it a go. Thanks for the push to try to do this. The instructions look good. I'll let you know how I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the texture boutique...I just don't live in the usa so no dollar store...great idea though
    Leza very sad in the uk lol X

    ReplyDelete